Retro Furniture Shopping Guide: How to Select Pieces that Fit Your Space and Style
Retro style is timeless so that people tend to style their home with retro elements, which seems money-saving and permanently stylish. Retro furniture and home decors can remind people of their childhood or of a certain era that they feel nostalgic about. They can evoke feelings of comfort, familiarity, and nostalgia. If you are one of them loving retro elements, let’s read on more about retro style furniture shopping guide.
What is retro furniture?
Retro furniture is a term used to describe furniture that is reminiscent of the past design styles. It refers to furniture that incorporates design elements from the mid-20th century.
It is often characterized by bold colors, geometric shapes, and sleek lines. Retro furniture can be made from a variety of materials, including wood, plastic, and metal, and may feature unique and innovative designs that have become iconic over time. Overall, its playful, fun, and stylish aesthetic add a unique touch to any living space.
Key characteristics of retro furniture
If you don’t know how to distinguish retro style furniture from various pieces, check the key characteristics of such furniture:
- Bold colors: Retro style often features bright and bold colors, such as turquoise, orange, mustard yellow, and avocado green.
- Geometric shapes: This furniture incorporates geometric shapes and patterns, such as circles, squares, and triangles. These shapes can be found in both the overall form of the furniture piece and in its details, such as its legs or upholstery.
- Sleek lines: Furniture from the retro era tends to have a sleek, streamlined look with clean lines and smooth surfaces. This design element creates a sense of simplicity and sophistication in retro furniture.
- Use of materials: Common materials used in retro furniture include chrome, plastic, and vinyl. Wood may often appear with a light or natural finish. These materials are often combined in unexpected ways, such as plastic seats on wooden legs, creating a unique and innovative look.
- Unique designs: Retro piece often features unique and innovative designs that stand out and make a statement. Some retro furniture pieces have become iconic over time, such as the Eames Lounge Chair or the Tulip Table.
How to select the furniture for your home to fit to retro style?
When selecting retro furniture for your home, it’s important to consider your personal style and preferences. Here are some tips to help you choose the perfect retro furniture for your home:
Determine your personal style
Take some time to think about the overall look and feel that you want to achieve in your space. Do you prefer a mid-century modern style, or are you drawn to a more eclectic bohemian look? Look at inspiration photos online or in magazines to help you identify your personal style.
Research different retro styles
Once you have identified your personal style, research different retro styles that fit within that category. For example, if you love a mid-century modern style, research furniture pieces from the 1950s and 60s that have a sleek and streamlined look.
Consider the size and layout of your space
Before purchasing retro home furniture, consider the size and layout of your space. Take measurements and consider how each piece will fit in the room. Also, think about the scale of the furniture – larger pieces may overwhelm a small space, while smaller pieces may get lost in a larger room.
Look for quality pieces
When selecting vintage furniture, look for pieces that are well-made and in good condition. Check for any signs of wear or damage, and make sure the piece is structurally sound.
Mix and match different styles
Don’t be afraid to mix and match different retro styles to create a unique and personalized look. For example, you could pair a mid-century modern sofa with a bohemian-inspired rug to add some texture and color.
Add your own personal touches
Finally, add your own personal touches to your retro furniture by incorporating accessories, such as throw pillows or artwork, that reflect your personal style and add some visual interest to the space.
Have fun with color
Don’t be afraid to have fun with color and patterns when selecting pieces for your home.
Is retro furniture the same as vintage or mid century?
Retro vs Vintage
Retro style furniture is not the same as vintage furniture. It is a term used to describe furniture that is inspired by, or reminiscent of, design styles from the past, particularly the mid-20th century, particularly the 1950s, 60s, and 70s. Retro furniture may incorporate vintage design elements, but it is not necessarily old or antique. They can be brand new. Check more here >>
Vintage furniture, on the other hand, refers to furniture that is at least 20 years old and is no longer being produced. Its main characteristics are: quality craftsmanship, unique design elements, and historical significance. Vintage furniture can come from any era, not just the mid-20th century.
Retro vs Mid Century
Retro furniture and mid-century furniture are closely related, but they are not exactly the same thing.
Mid-century furniture refers specifically to furniture designs from the mid-20th century, typically the 1940s through the 1960s. This period was marked by a focus on functionality and simplicity, and mid-century furniture reflects this with clean lines, organic shapes, and minimal ornamentation.
Retro furnishing piece, on the other hand, is a broader term that refers to furniture that is reminiscent of, design styles from the past, including but not limited to mid-century styles. Retro furniture may incorporate mid-century design elements, but it can also draw from other design periods, such as Art Deco or Art Nouveau.
What difference between traditional retro and modern retro?
- They differ in their design elements and aesthetic appeal.
Traditional retro furniture refers to furniture designs that were popular in the mid-20th century, particularly in the 1950s, 60s, and 70s. Traditional retro furniture often features bright, bold colors, geometric shapes, and futuristic designs. It may also incorporate materials such as plastic, vinyl, and chrome.
Modern retro furniture refers to contemporary furnishing designs that are inspired by traditional retro designs. Modern retro furniture typically incorporates design elements from the past, such as bold colors and geometric shapes.However it updates these elements with modern materials and finishes. For example, a modern retro sofa may feature a mid-century-inspired silhouette, but it may be upholstered in a more modern, durable fabric.
- Another difference between traditional retro furniture and modern retro furniture is the level of authenticity. Traditional retro style is often sourced from the original time period, while modern retro furniture is newly manufactured to replicate the look and feel of traditional retro designs.
Leave a Reply