Round dining tables have been a popular choice for many homeowners over the years. While they offer many advantages, there are also some disadvantages that you should be aware of before making a purchase. This article will help you resolve the problems before purchasing, when selecting and after receiving a round dining table.
Is there any special meaning of round dining table?
In some cultures, the round dining table holds a special meaning. Here are a few examples:
- In Chinese culture, round dining tables are seen as a symbol of unity and harmony. This is because the shape of the table represents the concept of completeness and inclusivity. When people gather around a round table, everyone is seen as equal and included in the conversation.
- In Celtic culture, the round dining table is seen as a symbol of eternity and the cycle of life. The circular shape represents the continuity of life and the cycle of the seasons.
- In Western culture, the round dining table has been associated with the idea of “King Arthur’s Round Table.” According to legend, King Arthur had a round table in his court where everyone sat as equals, without a head or foot of the table. This symbolized the idea of democracy and fair play.
While these cultural meanings may not hold true for everyone, they do show that the round dining table has held a special place in the history and traditions of many different cultures. Today, the round dining table is often chosen for its practical and aesthetic benefits, but it can also carry a deeper symbolic meaning for those who appreciate its history and significance.
Advantages and disadvantage of the round dining table:
In this part, let’s explore the advantages and disadvantages of circular dining tables to help you make an informed decision.
- Space-efficient: Round dining tables are ideal for small spaces as they take up less space than rectangular or square tables. They can also be easily placed in corners or tight spaces.
- Better for conversations: With a round table, everyone is facing each other, making it easier to have a conversation. It’s also easier to pass food and drinks around the table.
- More inclusive: Round tables are more inclusive, allowing everyone to be included in the conversation. No one is left at the head of the table, so everyone feels equally important.
- Stylish: Round tables come in a variety of styles, from modern to traditional, making them a versatile addition to any home. They come with different designs and shapes of the tabletop and pedestals to add an elegant touch to your dining room.
- No sharp corners: With no sharp corners, round dining tables are safer for children, as there is no risk of bumping into a corner and getting hurt.
- Limited seating: Round dining tables typically have a smaller surface area than rectangular or square tables, which can limit the number of people who can be seated comfortably.
- Limited surface space: Circular dining tables have a smaller surface area than rectangular or square tables, which can be a disadvantage when it comes to serving food and drinks.
- Awkward in narrow spaces: If you have a narrow dining room or space, a round table may not be the best choice as it can be difficult to navigate around the table.
- Difficult to fit in with other furniture: If you have other furniture in your dining room, such as a buffet or sideboard, a round table may be difficult to fit in with the rest of your furniture.
- More expensive: Round dining tables may be more expensive than rectangular or square tables due to the additional craftsmanship required to create a stable and balanced base.
How to pick up a round dining table
- Consider the size: Determine the size of the table that you need based on the number of people you want to seat and the available space in your dining room. Round tables typically range from 36 to 72 inches in diameter, so choose one that fits comfortably in your space and allows for easy movement around the table.
- Material: Decide on the material of the table: round glass dining tables generally bring modern and industrial vibe; marble round tables often add elegance and luxuriance; solid wood kitchen tables usually fit for mid century modern style. Choose a material that suits your style and matches your décor.
- Base: Look at the base of the table. Round dining tables typically have a pedestal base or legs. A pedestal base is more space-efficient, while legs offer more stability. Consider which one is more important to you.
- Style: Determine the style of the table that you want. Round dining tables come in a variety of styles including modern, traditional, rustic, and industrial. Choose a style that matches your existing décor and personal taste.
- Price: Set a budget for your round dining table. They can range from a few hundred dollars to several thousand dollars depending on the material, size, and style. Determine how much you can afford to spend and look for tables within your price range.
- Quality: Look for a high-quality round dining table that is durable and will last for years. Check the construction and make sure it is solid and sturdy.
- Comfort: Finally, make sure the table is comfortable to sit at. Check the height and make sure it is appropriate for your chairs. Sit at the table to make sure you have enough legroom and that the table is the right height for eating comfortably.
How to style a round dining table at home
Styling a round dining table can be a fun and creative process. Here are some tips to help you style your round dining table:
- Choose a centerpiece: Start by choosing a centerpiece for your round dining table. A floral arrangement, a bowl of fruit, or a candle arrangement can add visual interest and set the tone for the rest of the table.
- Use place settings: Use place settings to create a polished and sophisticated look. Choose tableware, glassware, and flatware that complement your décor and coordinate with your centerpiece.
- Play with color: Use color to add interest and personality to your table. Choose a color scheme that works with your décor and consider using colorful linens, napkins, or place-mats.
- Mix and match: Don’t be afraid to mix and match styles, patterns, and textures. For example, you can pair a modern table with rustic or vintage chairs, or mix different patterns of dishes and linens.
- Add lighting: Use lighting to create a warm and inviting atmosphere. Hang a chandelier above your table or use candles to add warmth and ambiance.
- Accessorize: Add accessories to your table to create a unique and personalized look. This can include decorative items such as vases, figurines, or decorative plates.
- Consider the height: Make sure the height of your centerpiece or other decorative items on the table does not obstruct the view or conversation between diners.
By following these tips, you can style your round dining table to create a beautiful and welcoming space for your family and guests to gather and enjoy meals together.
What shape rug under round dining table is the best?
A rug should be larger than the diameter of the table so that there is enough room for chairs to comfortably move in and out without catching on the edge of the rug.
Even though a rectangular or square rug can work well under a round table, the best shape of the rug for the circular dining table is round. A round rug will complement the shape of the table and create a balanced look. You’ll want to choose a rug that is at least two feet larger than the diameter of the table, so there is plenty of space for chairs to move in and out.
Generally, check the recommended size and shape of rug:
|Dining Table Size (inches)||Best Rug Sizes (feet)|
|4 Seater Round Table (48 inches)||6 feet round rug|
|5 Seater Round Table (54 inches)||6 feet round rug|
|6 Seater Round Table (60 inches)||8 feet round rug|
|8 Seater Round Table (72 inches)||12 feet round rug|
What size of a round dining table seats 6?
- To seat 4 people: diameter should be about 36 to 40 inches
- To seat 6 people: diameter should be about 40 to 60 inches
- To seat 8 people: diameter should be about 72 inches
However, the exact size of the table can vary depending on the shape and design, as well as the size of the chairs and the space available in the dining area. It’s important to measure the space and consider the needs of your guests before choosing a dining table.